Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Random PBS sightings

Yesterday afternoon after I finished watching my obligatory two-hour block of WGN Mid-day news, I began channel surfing for something else to fill the silence in my room. It didn't take long before I stopped dead in my tracks. I landed on PBS and there in all his glory was Bob Ross, painting a stream of clouds on a black canvas. Suddenly, I knew it was meant to be. Clearly, this blog created some sort of explosion in the universe. What's next? Home Improvement on Nick at Night? One could only hope.

Ross' picture was magnificent as always. He calmly added some "happy bushes," scrapped some dirt onto the canvas with his trusty trowel and then painted a single Pine tree in the background.

As I watched him paint, I thought about something Lachrista said. Sure when you watch you think, "Yeah! I could totally do that!" However, as the show continues onward, you realize it's the details that Ross goes back and fills in at later points that make his paintings so much more than what they appear to be at first. It's the shadings and the lightening that bring out the details you didn't see and subsequently make it much more difficult to replicate if you are not an artist, which I am not. By the end of the show, you realize how absurd you sounded for thinking it was that easy.

Viva Bob Ross and his happy foliage!

No comments:

Post a Comment