Monday, March 8, 2010

My thoughts on Bob Vila


Growing up in the 1990s had its perks. Sure there was the music, “alternative” was at its height, but there was also great TV programs like “Family Matters,” “Boy Meets World” and, of course, “Home Improvement.”

I religiously watched “Home Improvement.” No, I wasn’t in love with JTT (Jonathan Taylor Thomas) like every other girl my age; I just loved seeing what kind of trouble Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor (Tim Allen) would get himself into and then resolve by the end of the half-hour. Plus who could forget Tim’s lovable, and bearded, sidekick Al (Richard Karn)?

It was through “Home Improvement” that I became aware of Bob Vila and his program “This Old House.” I have to admit I wasn’t a regular viewer; "This Old House" wasn’t made for someone with my low level attention span. However, Vila’s various cameos on Tim Taylor’s show “Tool Time” as Taylor’s rival who constantly one-uped the Tool Man, were certainly impressive. Anyone remember the episode where Tim and Bob compete in a charity lawnmower race?

Fun facts about Bob Vila

- Vila is of Cuban descent
- Vila received his Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism in 1969
- Vila served in the Peace Corp from 1971 to 1973 in Panama.
- In addition to his long-running show “This Old House” and the ABC series “Home Improvement," Vila appeared in the 1993 film “Hot Shots! Part Deux.”

No comments:

Post a Comment